A Burning and Shining Lamp (DAY 01 - SIMBANG GABI/MISA DE GALLO READINGS - YEAR B)

DECEMBER 15-16, 2023 FRIDAY (Anticipated) / SATURDAY (Mass at Dawn)
START OF AGUINALDO MASSES IN THE PHILIPPINES (White)
CYCLE B - YEAR II

RDGS for Simbang Gabi / Misa De Gallo (only):
IS 56:1-3. 6-8 / PS 67:2-3.5.7-8
GOSPEL for Simbang Gabi / Misa De Gallo (only):
JN 5:33-36


(N.B: For the regular readings for December 15, 2023 
(Friday of the Second Week of Advent), kindly look at the previous post.)

Reading I
IS 56:1-3. 6-8


This is what the Lord says:
“Maintain justice
    and do what is right,
for my salvation is close at hand
    and my righteousness will soon be revealed.
 Blessed is the one who does this—
    the person who holds it fast,
who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it,
    and keeps their hands from doing any evil.”
 Let no foreigner who is bound to the Lord say,
    “The Lord will surely exclude me from his people.”
And let no eunuch complain,
    “I am only a dry tree.”
And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
    to minister to him,
to love the name of the Lord,
    and to be his servants,
all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
    and who hold fast to my covenant—
 these I will bring to my holy mountain
    and give them joy in my house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
    will be accepted on my altar;
for my house will be called
    a house of prayer for all nations.”
 The Sovereign Lord declares—
    he who gathers the exiles of Israel:
“I will gather still others to them
    besides those already gathered.”



Responsorial Psalm
PS 67:2-3.5.7-8


R. O God, let all the nations praise you!


O that your ways may be known on earth,
    your salvation among all nations.


    May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.


R. O God, let all the nations praise you!


May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.


    The land yields its harvest;
    God, our God, blesses us.


R. O God, let all the nations praise you!


May God bless us still,
    so that all the ends of the earth will fear him.




Alleluia


R. Alleluia, Alleluia

Behold, the King comes, 
the Lord of the earth; 
and he will save us

R. Alleluia, Alleluia


Gospel
JN 5:33-36



"You sent messengers to John, 
and he testified to the truth. 
Not that I accept such human testimony, 
but I say these things so that you may be saved. 
He was a burning and shining lamp, 
and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. 
But I have a testimony greater than John's. 
The works that the Father has given me to complete, 
the very works that I am doing, 
testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me."




REFLECTION:

The works the Father has given Jesus to testify to the truth are the very same works that Jesus guides us to be and do. Once we testify that Jesus is our Savior, our responsibility is be a burning and shining lamp reflecting the light of His love inside of us outward towards others. Even though we do not know precisely what it ultimately may be, as messengers, we are to continue the journey Jesus began so in faith we help to complete the Fathers vision.


PRAYER:

So, Lord, do I dare to ask people to look at my life, my actions, rather than rely on spoken evidence? Are my works on a par with my profession?

No comments:

Post a Comment