Be Opened!

February 12, 2021, Friday
Friday of the Fifth Week in Ordinary Time (Green)
CYCLE B - YEAR I
RDGS: GN 3:1-8/ PS 32:1-2. 5. 6. 7
GOSPEL: MK 7:31-37

Jesus left the district of Tyre
and went by way of Sidon to the Sea of Galilee,
into the district of the Decapolis. 
And people brought to him a deaf man who had a speech impediment and begged him to lay his hand on him.

He took him off by himself away from the crowd. 
He put his finger into the man’s ears
and, spitting, touched his tongue;
then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him,
“Ephphatha!” (that is, “Be opened!”)
And immediately the man’s ears were opened,
his speech impediment was removed,
and he spoke plainly. 
He ordered them not to tell anyone. 
But the more he ordered them not to,
the more they proclaimed it. 
They were exceedingly astonished and they said,
“He has done all things well. 
He makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”


GOSPEL REFLECTION:

The healing work of Jesus involved the body and well as mind and soul. Some 'Christian' teaching devalues the body. Our body is the 'place' of the Holy Spirit and through words, touch and feel we affect the lives of others. In prayer, we thank God for the sacredness of our bodies and ask that we care well for them. We offer this care to the Lord in the ways we eat, drink, touch and taste. We believe that Jesus, Son of God, is present and incarnate today in our bodies.

The people around Jesus were able to recognize the good that he did. I ask God to strengthen me, to give me the courage to keep acting in the hope that I may give witness by how I live.


PRAYER:

You were always on the side of health, Lord. You communicated your own vigorous health to people by touching them, even sharing your saliva. Let me relish my senses while I have them, open my ears to music and my lips to speak. Touch me with health.

No comments:

Post a Comment