Conditions of Discipleship

February 18, 2021, Thursday
Thursday after Ash Wednesday (Violet)
CYCLE B - YEAR I
RDGS: DT 30:15-20/ PS 1:1-2. 3. 4. 6
GOSPEL: LK 9:22-25

Jesus said to his disciples:
"The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected
by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes,
and be killed and on the third day be raised."
Then he said to all,
"If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself
and take up his cross daily and follow me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.
What profit is there for one to gain the whole world
yet lose or forfeit himself?"


GOSPEL REFLECTION:


Life holds so many challenges - the losses and daily disappointments that come my way. Do I just despair, fall apart, give up, or do I rise to them, shoulder my crosses with courage, knowing that Jesus shares the load, thereby filling me with deep contentment, even joy?
True fulfillment is not to be found in possessions or celebrity, but in hospitality, generosity, sharing, goodness of life.

PRAYER:

Deny yourself and take up your cross daily. Lord, I used to think this meant looking for mortifications. You have taught me that my cross is myself, my ego, the pains in my body, my awkwardness, my mistakes. To follow you is to move beyond ego-trips. It means coping with the business of life without trampling on others or making them suffer. There is a world here to be explored this Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment