The Greatest Commandment

March 12, 2021, Friday
Friday of the Third Week of Lent (Violet)
CYCLE B - YEAR I
RDGS: HOS 14:2-10/ PS 81:6-8. 8-9. 10-11. 14. 17
GOSPEL: MK 12:28-34


One of the scribes came to Jesus and asked him,
"Which is the first of all the commandments?"
Jesus replied, "The first is this:
Hear, O Israel!
The Lord our God is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, 
with all your soul, 
with all your mind, 
and with all your strength.
The second is this:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
There is no other commandment greater than these."
The scribe said to him, "Well said, teacher.
You are right in saying,
He is One and there is no other than he.
And to love him with all your heart,
with all your understanding, 
with all your strength,
and to love your neighbor as yourself
is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
And when Jesus saw that he answered with understanding,
he said to him,
"You are not far from the Kingdom of God."
And no one dared to ask him any more questions.




GOSPEL REFLECTION:

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love cast out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears does not reach perfection in love. We love because He first loved us."

(1 John 4:18)

I also ask myself, in the presence of Jesus, what it means to love God with all my heart, all my soul and with all my mind and with all my strength. I ask for this single-mindedness, and for seeing all my life embraced in this commitment.


PRAYER: 

Lord, enlarge my heart. Make me more and more sensitive to the quality of your love, especially as Holy Week comes near. There you show me so dramatically how much you love me. Make me a grateful person.

No comments:

Post a Comment